ELOS™ Photofacial Frequently Asked Questions
- How does ELOS Work?
- ELOS™ (electro-optical synergy) combines the synergy of bipolar radiofrequency and light energies to treat superficial and benign vascular and pigmented lesions like rosacea, spider veins, red and brown spots, as well as skin imperfections caused by sun damage. It treats fine wrinkles and improves skin texture irregularities, laxity and smoothness.
- How does the ELOS Photofacial differ from other Photorejuvenation procedures?
- Unlike other lasers, with an ELOS Photofacial, the visible light energy is absorbed by the pigment in the skin's surface, while the RF energy stimulates the production of collagen (which supports the skin) from within. In marrying Intense Pulsed Light and RadioFrequency energy into one treatment, Elos Photofacial treatments offer the very latest and most effective high-tech, non-invasive form of skin enhancement. Most other photorejuvenation procedures utilize only optical energy (IPL or laser) without the added benefits of radio frequency to stimulate collagen.
With these basic Photorejuvenation procedures you may notice a degree of improvement in the appearance of some aspects of your skin, particularly an improvement in vascular and melanin based discolorations. However, by combining RadioFrequency and Intense Pulsed Light into one Elos Photofacial treatment, you will achieve the optimal degree of enhancement to all components of your skin. By adding the RadioFrequency to the Intense Pulsed light, the Elos Photofacial procedure can now boast excellent, no downtime wrinkle improvements together with the significant improvement in redness, rosacea, pinkness, spider veins, pores and texture.
- How does the ELOS Photofacial work to improve the appearance of the skin?
- Each pulse of the ELOS Photofacial device, the Aurora, sends two types of energy into your skin, Intense Pulsed Visible Light and RadioFrequency energy that act synergistically to enhance the skin. Energy is given up to brown spots, blood vessels, and redness to gradually and gently lessen or eliminate these blemishes. The RadioFrequency energy also produces significant amounts of collagen, elastin and ground substances in the dermis, the thick supporting structure of the skin, resulting in a noticeable and significant smoothing of fine to moderate wrinkles and textural irregularities of the skin.
- Is it safe?
- ELOS is one of the safest technology available with high patient comfort. Most people experience no side effects at all, though a few exhibits some short term local redness. Treatment requires no patient downtime and you can return to work immediately after.
- What conditions can be treated with the ELOS Photofacial?
- Fine lines, rosacea, flushing, pore size, ruddy complexion, broken capillaries and spider veins, hyperpigmentation, melasma, freckles, age and sun spots, as well as non-pitted acne scars can all be diminished in a softer, more gentle way with an Elos Photofacial. All patients see positive results from a ELOS Photofacial without any of the potential side effects seen with other laser systems.
- How is the ELOS Photofacial treatment performed?
- It is a simple, office based treatment. First, the area to be treated is cleansed. The patient is covered with a thin layer of water and the entire face, chest, hands or arms are treated with a gentle pulse of light and RadioFrequency energy. When placed against the skin you will feel the cold tip. When the pulse of light and low energy radio frequency is administered there is a momentary heat sensation that is easily tolerated. Each treatment takes about 30 minutes depending on the size of the area being treated. Most patients require about 3-5 photofacial treatments to see the desired results and they are performed every 4-6 weeks. Some patients will benefit from additional treatments.
- What About Results?
- All patients notice a consistent improvement in the appearance of their skin. The degree of improvement is gradual and persistent. The noticeable and significant changes that have been reported include: improvement in pink and brown discoloration, spider veins, pink and brown blemishes, sun damage, age spots, pore size, acne scarring and wrinkles. Since the aging process continues after your treatments, maintenance treatments may prevent the return of your skin imperfections. Depending much on the severity of skin problems, most people notice about a 50-75% improvement after a series of treatments.
- How long will the Skin enhancement effects of the ELOS Photofacial last?
- At the completion of the Elos Photofacial program the skin will have achieved a noticeable and consistent degree of improvement that over 90% of patients are very happy with. Occasionally, some patients desire an even greater degree of improvement and many of these patients will sign up for additional ELOS Photofacial procedures or opt for a more aggressive treatment such as Bridge Therapy. Most ELOS Photofacial patients will just desire to maintain the nice skin enhancements they achieved from the program and, for these satisfied patients, a single maintenance ELOS Photofacial treatment is recommended every 4 to 6 months to keep the skin looking vital, even, smooth and youthful.
- Can ELOS technology be used for other applications other than for skin imperfections and laxity?
- Yes. Among other applications, it can be used for hair removal and to treat active acne. Since we have lasers that can destroy hair much more quickly, we rarely use ELOS for that purpose. However, the Aurora AC treatments are quite effective for active acne.
- How does the Aurora AC treat my acne?
- The Aurora uses a specific spectrum of light that targets the bacteria that actually causes acne. When these bacteria proliferate in clogged pores it can cause bumpy and inflamed acne lesions. The Aurora AC combines light and gentle radiofrequency energies to decrease proliferation of acne causing bacteria, and may also affect the sebaceous gland from overproduction of oil and promote healing of the skin after acne breakouts.
- Who should get Aurora AC treatment for acne?
- Anyone who wants an alternative to traditional topical or oral therapies for acne, or who have not responded to traditional acne solutions. Acne on the face, chest, and back are all treatable with the Aurora AC. There are a few medical conditions that contraindicate people from treatment, which will be discussed during your consultation.
- Cost of ELOS Photofacial
- 1 treatment - $ 250.00
Series of 3 treatments - $ 675. 00 ($ 225.00 per treatment)
Series of 6 treatments - $1200.00 ($ 200.00 per treatment)
Frequently Asked Questions about ELOS Photofacial
Request an appointment
Back to Services | Back to Home Page